The Upjohn Company acquired many
buildings in its 109-year history. Here are the most
Bldg 19 - purchased 1926 this
was the American Playing Card Company building on Lovell St in
Downtown Kalamazoo. It was used by Upjohn for forty
years until demolition in 1966.
In 1933 Upjohn purchased the original
Borgess hospital on Portage Road
in Downtown Kalamazoo and immediately razed
it. It apparently did not receive a building number.
Bldg 49 - purchased 1947 this
farmhouse on the west of Portage Road was bought to use as
the first cafeteria on the new Upjohn Portage site. Workers
from Bldg 38 (Fermentation), then the only completed
manufacturing building on the site, walked across Portage
Road for lunch. Portage Road was a muddy country lane back
Bldg 262 purchased 1981 this
was the Ramona Lane School, just north of Romence on Lovers
Lane, some 50,000 sq feet, which was demolished in 1985
Bldg 264 purchased 1982 the
former Spring St Morgue in Downtown Kalamazoo, demolished in 1991 to
make way for Bldg 300, which is now the research building
Bldg 274 purchased in 1981
the former Club Hollywood on Portage Road in Downtown Kalamazoo, demolished in 1985
Bldg 278 purchased 1982 the
former American Beauty College in Downtown Kalamazoo, demolished in 1991 to
make way for Bldg 300.
Bldg 282 purchased 1982 the
former DeNooyer Used Cars decagon (10 sided) building on
Portage Road in
Downtown Kalamazoo. It was demolished in 1991 to make
way for Bldg 300.
Bldg 296 purchased 1985 the
former Pitcher St Morgue in Downtown Kalamazoo, demolished in 1985
Bldg 922 purchased mid-1980s
the former Venetian Gardens adult entertainment venue that
was on the corner of Portage and Center, across from
McDonalds. It was demolished in 1987.