Upjohn Fun Fact #7  

   Return to Upjohn Memories Home Page  



This may be Upjohn's worst product ever!


Blue Mass is 33% mercury. It was used to treat syphillis, tuberculosis, constipation, tootache, parasitic infestations and the "pains of childbirth".


3 grains of Blue Mass per pill in this 1890s bottle amounts to 65mg of mercury. The World Health Organization currently recommends that mercury exposure in food be no more than 2 micrograms per kg of body weight per week.


So people who took one pill per day of this Upjohn Blue Mass would have a mercury level 2000 times higher than today's safe limit!

   Return to the most Recent Fun Fact