Citrocarbonate was one of the first Upjohn products that was
based on scientific research. It was used to treat indigestion. Fred Heyl, the first scientist
hired, received a patent for "Effervescent alkali compounds and
processes of manufacturing and preparing the same" on 17
February 1925. The original copy of the patent is shown below
with the assignment of it by Fred to The Upjohn Company. It expired
after 17 years but Upjohn manufactured citrocarbonate in their
Portage plant into the 1980s.
The photos below are Citrocarbonate production in the 1930s.
This location is likely Building 25, which later became the
research tower but was originally built for manufacturing and
used for such until all manufacturing moved to Portage during
1948 to 1951.